Sunday, May 31, 2009

News - Sunday, May 31, 2009

- The live action Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode sounds really ill, so I'm going to check it out shortly after this entry is done. It seems like I'm the only person who consistently watches the show now, or at least it feels that way. Sad Steve is sad. The same goes with Heroes, Family Guy and Saturday Night Live, it seems. I catch pretty much all of them every week, within a few days of the air date.

For what it's worth, ATHF has had a rebound year this year to me. The quality has definitely seemed to improve since they aren't busy with a movie anymore. Speaking of the movie though, the intro to it is still one of my favorite three minutes. And my favorite quote sequence from the show:
Master Shake: Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and pastes. Now, I've read the arguments on both sides, and I haven't found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever.
Meatwad: I don't know how you'd know; you ain't got no teeth.
Master Shake: Well, I got rid of my teeth at a young age, because...I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get 'em.
- Because I seem to have an obsession with TV commercials, I like the cover of "Let Your Love Flow" (original by the Bellamy Brothers) that is on some car commercial now. I can't find on the Internetz who does the cover, but it sounds a lot like the same female a cappella group, the Night Owls, that sings at the end of a Zach Galifankis' comedy special.

- For all the talk of how awesome The New York Times is with my snooty journalism friends, they sometimes have stupid headlines to me. For example, this headline without further explanation as linked off Google news: Penguins strike first, but result is similar. An actual story on nature would have been more interesting than what is linked.

Speaking of my old industry, in an attempt to save themselves this past week, a bunch of the biggest papers probably committed collusion, which is just awesome. Not shockingly, most newspapers and media outlets were only too happy to play this up as harshly as they could. Also good on Slate: Why Obama's Supreme Court nomination, Sotomayor, isn't such a slam dunk candidate. At least Slate will probably survive the revolution. I'm somewhat resigned to the fact that I'll probably never work again full-time as a reporter; it was a marginal existence for me two years ago, and it is not improving any time soon.

- Enough depressing stuff: Stripper news time. (And no, there is never not stripper news on Google.) And, shooocccckkinngggg, the news comes from Florida. This is the third or fourth story I've linked from Tampa Bay Online; it might be worth my while to become a regular reader. Anyway, a 21-year-old man was hit by a car as he was attempting to flee a strip club after stealing several rings from a stripper. Even sillier part of this story: He got hit by a Volkswagen Beetle.

- And finally, in bizarre news, a woman staged the kidnapping of her nine-year-old daughter while she instead took her to Disney World, or something like that. I really have no clue, because the lead is buried in this story about the effect it could have on her child. Now, this story started in Pennsylvania, but it ended up in Florida, so I still count that as a point for Gator County.

5 comments:

  1. oooo I still watch Family Guy and SNL all the time! I F'ing love Justin Timberlake on SNL. I kind of forgot about Aqua Teen because I never know when it's on.
    haha Does anyone else comment on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Danielle: So far, you and a random dude are the sole commentators, and my friend Meg from high school about the high school post I made. Really, just consider yourself a trendsetter. From the Google Analytics stats though, I know a couple people are reading, which is good.

    The SNL with Timberlake was probably one of the best ones of the past five years. Especially the immigrant boat skit and the new song about mother effing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ATHF absolutely has had a renaissance. Some of those episodes that they made during the movie (except for the Dirtfoot episode, which I though was pretty funny) were awful. The only thing that made up for "Dickisode" was the later episode you mentioned, involving the teeth. SNL has been better (but not great) lately, too. Heroes turned me off last fall, but I have heard it hs gotten better. I'm thrilled I made the investment in a Tivo, because there's no way I'd be catching these shows live.

    Have you tried Fringe? That one is pretty good, if you liked the X-Files. Terminator was great, too, but I wouldn't suggest starting now since it already got cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bob: I thought the Boost Mobile episode was funny, just because of how blatant they were about it. But yeah, most of them were really forgettable, especially the Dickisode. That one was just uncomfortable, like the season three episode when they get the eye infections from the Chicken Ball. ("The The")

    Heroes has gotten better, or at least was better this season to me. But its ratings have fallen so far that it seems in imminent danger of cancellation. They also keep recycling the plot lines - At a certain point, I want to see Claire kicking some ass. It seems like "Claire needs to be protected!" has been the theme of roughly 500 episodes.

    I caught a couple episodes of Fringe, but it was so gory and out there that I couldn't really get into it, much the same way I was with The X-Files.

    And yeah, just as I was going to get into Terminator, it got canceled, of course. At least they let the cast and writers of Life on Mars conclude things smartly before ending, unlike Terminator and Knights of Prosperity (a.k.a. Let's Rob Mick Jagger).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, so just watched the live action ATHF. Not wild about the episode. I thought the guy who played Master Shake wasn't at all like him. Honestly the only thing that was good about it was the guy who played Carl. I definitely jinxed it by saying they were having a renaissance.

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails