Friday, October 5, 2012

Inexplicable Book Review: The Angel Park All-Stars (the sequel!)


So, way back in July 2010, I wrote about a series of books aimed at adolescent young boys: The Angel Park All-Stars.

In case you don’t feel like clicking that handy link, the 14-book series is about a Little League team from California that (spoiler about a 20-year-old book series) wins a couple of regional titles. It stuck in my mind as one of the few series aimed at young boys that wasn’t fantasy-based, like the works of Lloyd Alexander.

However, at the time I lamented that I had only gotten to read about half the series, because there were 14 books to track down and read. Fast forward to about a year later.

Out of the blue, I got a nice e-mail from a lady in Oregon. She said she bought the entire series at a yard sale, and while her sons hadn’t liked it so much – to be expected, since it’s somewhat dated now – she was willing to ship them out to me for about $20.

I jumped at the chance, and finally got to read up on the rest of the series. I’m not going to lie – It felt very odd to be finishing them up as a 27-year-old man, just reading them in my apartment. Each book is about 75 pages, max, with big font, so a single book took about 30 minutes.

However, they didn’t disappoint, and I’ve kept all of them. Ideally, I’d like to keep them until I have kids of my own someday. (Side note: I put the ETA on that sometime in the 2020s. I’m pacing myself.)

2 comments:

  1. I was in the target age demographic for these in the early 1990s, so I can remember them all too vividly. Clearly they paled in comparison to some of the best Matt Christopher ones, but they also built up interesting relationships between the characters that were more long standing. And, of course, inevitably branched out into other sports as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd that you mentioned Matt Christopher, since my latest post was about him! Yeah, he also wrote books for young boys, although his works were aimed at a slightly older age group in mind. However, except for the Kid Who Only Hit HRs series, he didn't really return to the same characters that often.

      Delete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails