For what it's worth, ATHF has had a rebound year this year to me. The quality has definitely seemed to improve since they aren't busy with a movie anymore. Speaking of the movie though, the intro to it is still one of my favorite three minutes. And my favorite quote sequence from the show:
- Master Shake: Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and pastes. Now, I've read the arguments on both sides, and I haven't found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth. Ever.
- Meatwad: I don't know how you'd know; you ain't got no teeth.
- Master Shake: Well, I got rid of my teeth at a young age, because...I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get 'em.
- For all the talk of how awesome The New York Times is with my snooty journalism friends, they sometimes have stupid headlines to me. For example, this headline without further explanation as linked off Google news: Penguins strike first, but result is similar. An actual story on nature would have been more interesting than what is linked.
Speaking of my old industry, in an attempt to save themselves this past week, a bunch of the biggest papers probably committed collusion, which is just awesome. Not shockingly, most newspapers and media outlets were only too happy to play this up as harshly as they could. Also good on Slate: Why Obama's Supreme Court nomination, Sotomayor, isn't such a slam dunk candidate. At least Slate will probably survive the revolution. I'm somewhat resigned to the fact that I'll probably never work again full-time as a reporter; it was a marginal existence for me two years ago, and it is not improving any time soon.
- Enough depressing stuff: Stripper news time. (And no, there is never not stripper news on Google.) And, shooocccckkinngggg, the news comes from Florida. This is the third or fourth story I've linked from Tampa Bay Online; it might be worth my while to become a regular reader. Anyway, a 21-year-old man was hit by a car as he was attempting to flee a strip club after stealing several rings from a stripper. Even sillier part of this story: He got hit by a Volkswagen Beetle.
- And finally, in bizarre news, a woman staged the kidnapping of her nine-year-old daughter while she instead took her to Disney World, or something like that. I really have no clue, because the lead is buried in this story about the effect it could have on her child. Now, this story started in Pennsylvania, but it ended up in Florida, so I still count that as a point for Gator County.