This week in Your Parents Basement, we are leaping over pits with vines, jumping on top of crocodile snouts and blasting alien spaceships while dodging craters! From 1982, we’re playing Pitfall! by Activision and Moon Patrol by Irem.
You can manually download this week’s OLD SCHOOL podcast here or subscribe to the show via the iTunes store. To manually subscribe, use this link in the device / podcast player of choice. You can also follow us on Twitter, or ‘like’ us on Facebook.
As always, if you like the show, support us by buying from Amazon! You can use this link to go to Amazon, and any purchase you make will kick a couple bucks to the show, with no extra cost to you. It’s a win-win!
Want to have an email or comment read on the air? Send us a message on the ole Twitter or Facebook, or, shoot that mail to email@example.com.
- 0:00 – Intro, which is the super catchy music to Moon Patrol.
- 42:00 – Emails! An exciting new contributor emails Cosmo, of all people! Plus, more dispatches from Todd Brisket because he’s a ramblin’ man, like other emailer Scooterbutt.
- 59:45 – Snifferoo. Next week, it’s going to be a show focused on email questions! So, be sure to write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- According to Price Charting, Pitfall! is quite affordable, at $8.95 for a loose cart or $19.99 for the cart and box. Moon Patrol is even cheaper – about $6.72 for a loose cart, and $13.50 for a cart and box.
- Luke Plunkett of Kotaku has a good write-up on the history and development of Pitfall! Included in the article is the old YouTube commercial for the game featuring, of all people, Jack Black. A Kickstarter project for a follow-up by creator David Crane didn’t go well, though.
- The world record in the arcade for Moon Patrol is 1.4 million points. Good times! A highlights video is here.