Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Inexplicable Movie Review: Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

"Don't shoot, we're not a real tiger!"

Yeah, I realize this movie review of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life kind of comes out of left field. But hey, I saw it again recently, and I still enjoy it. In fact, I daresay that it is my favorite Monty Python movie, although it does lag quite behind Flying Circus in the grand scheme of great Python work.

Focusing on the movie first, it is a loose film that has a slew of skits that cover the period of time from cradle to grave. Birth, childhood, adolescence, adulthood, middle age and death are all covered, with commentary on politics, religion and British and American people along the way.

The most memorable skit in terms of the Python canon (if there is such a thing) occurs about an hour into the film, when the fat Mr. Creosote eats so much at a restaurant, he could explode - literally. When I was a kid, my aunt would explain this scene to me, and even that didn't really properly do it justice. Keeping in mind that this is very not safe for work, or for your stomach, the YouTube link is here. Other classic scenes include Death coming to dinner, and another NSFW clip of their tune "Every Sperm Is Sacred."

However, I like the movie for the more subtle jabs throughout. For example, one scene focuses on gentile British military officers fighting in the Zulu, African outback expressing surprise about how another troop's leg got taken... off... during the night. One suggests that a tiger might have done it, which causes another to exclaim, "A tiger in Africa?" Response: "... Well maybe it escaped from the zoo."

This is why Meaning of Life ranks higher on my personal Monty Python list than Life of Brian (I'm a heathen and get almost none of the religious references) and The Holy Grail, my second favorite. Holy Grail is more "on the nose" when it comes to the nerdy humor though. I feel like I'm being knocked over the head (or maybe more appropriately, slapped across the cheek with a fish) when it comes to the humor.

Of course, all of the Python movies pale in comparison to Flying Circus sketches, which I allude to at the beginning of my post. I will say though that individual episodes can be very spotty - Once Cleese leaves the show, it definitely loses a lot, since he is the best individual performer of the group. Also, the first 10 episodes or so are quite rough, before hitting a stride in the teens and twenties. At this point, most of the iconic sketches - the ministry of silly walks, the lumberjack song, Ethel the Frog / The Piranha Brothers - start getting aired. If you want a good "collection" of the best sketches, I'd recommend looking around a bit for Live from the Hollywood Bowl, which I purchased from Blockbuster (on VHS!) a couple years ago for $1. It's also, thankfully, available on DVD from Amazon.

My personal favorite, even though it is a bit sick, is still the undertaker's sketch. The punch line is ridiculously good, and as a YouTube commenter notes, this is a dark, dark skit, even for Python.

4 comments:

  1. "we're here for your kidney."
    "...but I'm still using it."

    This is definitely my favorite python movie. With Holy Grail in second place. I agree about Life With Brian too, I think a lot of the jokes go over my head cause I don't follow religion.

    The kidney scene is my favorite though. Especially when they're operating on him on the table and his wife comes in and is just like "I told him not be an organ donor! Would you like some tea?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the live organ transplant part is pretty funny! However, I felt that the gore is really over-the-top gross, and detracted from my enjoyment a bit. Still, it is a solid part of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Oh, sir, it's only a tiny, little, thin one." One of my favorite sketches.

    Some guys sung the Lumberjack Song at karaoke a few weeks ago, but they didn't quite do it justice.

    Was there a point to that comment? Not quite sure, but let me say props for writing about Monty Python, but the timing is truly inexplicable. Evergreen content, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, I agree with you that Monty Python is appropriate at all times of life. I was spurred on by watching the show and the movie the other day though, so technically, it is kind of topical.

    "Get me a bucket, I'm gonna throw up!"

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails