Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Steveats: Wendy’s (gooey and soggy) Jalapeno Fresco Chicken Sandwich




Debuting a new, semi-regular feature! I tryout questionable food items so that you don’t have to in… Steveats. (Note: Title developed in about 10 seconds of brainstorming.)

In contrast to the previously tried Angriest Whopper, Wendy’s jalapeno fresco chicken sandwich actually does have some spice and kick to it! I mean, not nearly as much as the commercial and ingredients list would suggest, but still. If you like spicy, it’s slightly spicy. It made my brow sweat.

However, again, it was a disappointing eat. As you can see from the photos, its main characteristic is a soggy sort of ghost pepper sauce. This is mildly hot, but it makes everything in the sandwich taste kind of mushy. Also, while the sandwich claims to have diced / chopped jalapeno on it, they honestly tasted and looked more like scallions to me. Bad scallions, at that, since I’m a guy who likes his scallions poppin’ and fresh.

Worse, much like the previous Steveats items, the jalapeno fresco chicken sandwich is not especially cheap or nutritious. The recommended (retail) price is $4.99, and I think mine was $5.25 or $5.50, probably because I got it from the Middletown (close to Newport) Wendy’s “all the way” out on Aquidneck Island. The default sandwich checks in at 590 calories, and it’s definitely not a guilty pleasure item that deserves that amount.

When I’m evaluating fast food options, I must admit that I always compare them to the old standbys – the McDouble and McChicken from McDonald’s, and the double cheeseburger from Burger King. Both are in the $1 to $1.50 range, so, it’s a simple equation – Would I rather have had this weird jalapeno chicken sandwich, or three McDoubles / double cheese burgers? It’s a definite “no” for this sandwich, although it’s better than the Angriest Whopper in a direct matchup.

If you have a request for a future Steveats, leave it in the comments on here or on my Facebook. To check out some of the past Steveats, go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails