Friday, July 8, 2016

Steveats: Sbarro, my filthy guilty pleasure pizza




Debuting a new, semi-regular feature! I tryout questionable food items so that you don’t have to in… Steveats. (Note: Title developed in about 10 seconds of brainstorming.)

A couple weeks back, my ole journalism buddy and American Idol fan Rueb suggested that I review the various acceptable pizzas now at gas stations and convenience stores. While that’s definitely still in the cards, I recently had a chance to indulge in my true guilty pleasure pizza – Sbarro.

Now, my brain realizes that Sbarro is all sorts of disgusting. Theoretically, it is New York-style pizza, but Sbarro is to pizza as Velveeta is to cheese – technically the same, but only faintly familiar.

If you’ve never been to a Sbarro at a mall or truck stop, pizzas are seemingly baked at a Question Mark time and left out under a heat lamp, to be sold slice by slice, until there is no more. Traditionally, they offer on-demand cheese, pepperoni, a “stuffed” slice and a fourth random option, like broccoli or sausage.

I’ve written briefly before about my like of Sbarro’s. For this post today, I went with the “stuffed” pizza, which is essentially a kind pizza casserole. In the middle of two pieces of dough is some sausage, pepperoni and bacon, with cheese. It basically makes your heart want to explode from cholesterol, but, it’s also somewhat delicious. Plus, I’m positive it was all balanced out by the cucumber and tomato salad I had.

Other random things about Sbarro – the Wikipedia page is oddly cheerful. It is also the favorite New York pizza spot of Michael Scott, and Jack Donaghy once dated Pizzarina “Zarina” Sbarro. And hey, they also managed to file for bankruptcy twice in three years! But, they seem to be out of it…  for now.

Want to support Steve’s blogging? Then purchase something via the Amazon clickthru link for Your Parents Basement, Steve’s other project! If you have a request for a future Steveats, leave it in the comments on here or on my Facebook. To check out some of the past Steveats, go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails