Monday, April 19, 2010

TV Review: SNL back up to adequate


While the early 2000s and late 1990s still seem like centuries ago, and even the mini-Renaissance of the past couple years has faded with the stink bomb of the early episodes, Saturday Night Live does seem to be climbing out of its funk. This week's show had some strong sketches, even though the host, Ryan Phillippe, was nothing special.

The show started out strong with the cold open, which was an always enjoyable Larry King spot. Yeah, he's still no Norm MacDonald, but King is always so ripe for parody, as were his guests, Bjork and Richard Branson (pictured above). SNL has been a lot better this season when it has strayed away from politics and stuck to mocking pop culture and celebrities. The monologue was also decent, since it starred one of my favorite characters at the end, DeAndre Cole. "Wooooo, wheeee! What's up with that?"

From there, the show replayed a commercial spoof, although it was one of the better ones, mocking the home security commercials that feature random white dudes breaking into houses. I loved the next skit though, featuring the doofy mock ESPN sportscasters shilling for female condoms during a female weightlifting competition. (I am just barely old enough to remember the days when ESPN really did show lots of crap like that. Now, the female weightlifting, bowling and strong man events are mostly confined to ESPN2 on the weekends.)

The rest of the episode was merely average to me, although an average episode of SNL is above their standard for this season. Also, this makes me potentially gay, but I actually like Ke$ha. Her music is catchy, and I'm not ashamed to say that I find her easy on the eyes as well. I have no idea what she was thinking with the American flag cape, but hey, it works for me.

Grade: B

4 comments:

  1. The ESPN thing is a recurring sketch - this must be the 4th or 5th. There have been a Tampax to the Max billiards tournament, a Vagisil Superstars of Bowling Tournament, and a Summer's Eve Lady Stars of Darts Championship. Collect them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ESPN thing is recurring, but it still cracks me up every time, just like "What's up with that?" I wish they did those two more often, and far, far less of Kristen W's "oh my god I'm a neurotic lady!" sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought ryan phillipe did a decent job on SNL. I liked the sketch where the 4 guys sat in the backyard and were singing breakfast at tiffany's and then go up to run off to a tea party rally.
    I wasn't that impressed by the digital short though, it was just kind of strange.
    I can't believe you like kesha though. her songs are horrible. i can't stand her voice. -10 points for you, greenwell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pfttt Danielle, it's obvious you're just blinded by your love for Ryan Phillipe! You're probably glad he dumped Reece Witherspoon, because now you have a shot at him.

    I like some random, horribly cheesy music, and I lump Ke$ha into that category. Her voice isn't anything special, but the production values are pretty good. Nice beats and what not.

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails