Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Breaking down characters on Lost

The other week, I promised to look at some of the characters on Lost. While my opinions on Jack, Locke and Ben are probably pretty clear, that still leaves, oh, about 30 or so others. Let's try to tackle some of them right now, along with pictures when appropriate. I'll try to separate characters into the good, the bad and the meh. As with the last post on Lost, MASSIVE SPOILERS FOLLOW IMMEDIATELY!

The Good

- Juliet. Probably the second most "moral" character on the show, in a way, next to my bromance with Jack. This is odd to say, considering that she was in favor of abducting pregnant women and had no problems sleeping with a married man. However, her other actions, such as forcing Sawyer to break up with her in the fifth season finale and generally being trustworthy to the plane crash people, elevates her above these past transgressions.

It's odd to think of where her character is going in this upcoming season, though. If my earlier theory about the detonation of the hydrogen bomb core is correct, and things do revert, then I suppose she goes back to being an Other on the island, or possibly she somehow manages to meet the plane as it lands in LAX. (As Amanda Meyer pointed out in a comment on that entry, the episode's title is tantalizing just "LAX", although that seems like too much of a giveaway.)

- Daniel Farraday. Some of my admiration for Daniel probably came through in my last post, when I hinted that his method would work, because he is always correct on the show. There isn't any reason to doubt what he says, since he is primarily an embodiment of science. As such I had a sort of respect for his actions, and I think he is generally concerned with the welfare of others.

- Sayid. The toughest SOB on the show, so of course he's in this section. The only downside to Sayid is that everyone he falls in love with seemingly dies a brutal, horrible death, but hey, nobody's perfect.

- Sun. I feel like she might be as ruthless as Sayid or Ben or Locke, but you don't always realize it because of her attractive appearance and because her actions are spread out across multiple seasons. For example, before the plane crash, she pays off Jin's whore mom, has a regular affair and plots to leave Jin before having a last minute change of heart.

- Miles. I feel that he is a much better character than the person listed below him in a second, although he doesn't receive as much screen time, and thus, less time to flex how god damn clever he always is.

- Sawyer. I begrudgingly put him in this column. To make another Star Wars comparison, which Lost is somehow ripe for in my mind, Sawyer is Han Solo. Yeah, with his lines, he's really amusing, but I feel like a lot of actors could fill that role and still be amusing.

Also, I feel like the character of Sawyer has been done before, whether it be Han Solo or any other television bad boy of the past X years. Still, I feel more confident about him than the first character of the bad category...

The Bad

- Kate. First, from a casting standpoint, I don't find Evageline Lilly that attractive. Really, this shouldn't matter, except that she is involved in a competition with Juliet at points for the heart of Jack and Sawyer. Since Juliet is more dependable and interesting AND attractive, parts of the romance square they have on the show fall flat to me. It would be like if Kate Hudson and Mila Kunis were cast in the same movie, and the guys inexplicably went after Kunis instead of Hudson.

Overlooking her physical characteristics, I'm not sure why everyone else is so all-up-onz Kate. She's an ex-con who constantly waffles between two guys, which causes chaos for the leader of the camp. Imagine if Barack had to worry about Michelle steppin' out all the time! Hey Kate, make up your freakin' mind!

- Charlie and Hugo / Hurley. Both of these characters are kind of meant as comic relief at times, but I find them to be more annoying than anything else because of their hysteria. Charlie spends multiple seasons whining about how he can't be trusted and isn't in the Circle of Trust, to quote something from Meet the Parents, and I believe Hurley expresses similar sentiments.

- Michael. See above, except with the added caveat that you need to suspend your disbelief about how he got back on the boat.

The Meh

- Claire. I love how spunky she is, although after Aaron was born, this seems to have been put on the backburner a bit, which hurts her appeal to me. Also, she just abruptly vanishes into the woods at the end of season four, I believe, and she's barely seen except in flashbacks the rest of the time. I suppose she'll get her own episode in the sixth season, but as of now, she's very much meh to me.

- Boone and Shannon. They kind of flip flopped in my mind as time went on. Boone started out as a seemingly decent guy, but as more of his story got revealed, I became less enamored of his behavior. And on the flipside, I thought Shannon really matured as she spent more time on the island, only for her to die once she fell in love with Sayid.

- Nikki and Paulo and Libby and Ana Lucia and Jin and Rousseau. Interesting to me in one way or another, but ultimately spend too little time in scenes for me to really evaluate, or just make a "blah" impression. Of the group, Rousseau is the most interesting, but even my thoughts about her are tempered because her best scenes are in the time travel portion, when she is portrayed by a younger actress.

Did I miss any of your favorite characters, or want me to expand on one of them? Let me know and I'll cover them in a follow-up entry.

4 comments:

  1. Sayid has always been my favorite...he's awesome. I was so sad when Shannon died. I've also really enjoyed Daniel Faraday since he came on the show. I hate Michael. He's the worst and I've never liked him. Two more that I like are Desmond and Frank Lapidus. What do you think about them (even though Lapidus doesn't get much air time)? Also, what about Richard Alpert? He's sort of a mystery. Those are my thoughts. I love Lost analysis. It will be weird when it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is about to be one long ass comment, so buckle up!

    Juliet- I think you got this one, and it's a really good point, she is probably one of the more moral characters, but I had forgotten about that affair of hers!

    Daniel- Again, you got him right. I was rewatching season 5 last night and in the episode The Little Prince, he mentions that what happens, happens and you can't change it. This is proved by Sawyer's inability to meet Desmond before he did in the original time line. This makes me question if the bomb theory works or not- if the plane is meant to crash, it will!

    Sayid- You neglected to point out he's more than just a badass, he's also a sweetie pie!

    Sun- She is SO ruthless. Also, in season 5 she is hell bent on killing Ben even after she is off the island. I think her leaving Jin wasn't so bad given the circumstances, but other aspects of her character are very much badass- for example, buying out her father's company with the Oceanic settlement.

    Miles- I wish he had a bigger role, I really do. I love his odd "power" and his sarcasm is almost as charming as Sawyer's.

    Sawyer- You know how I feel, we agree to disagree- he may be the typical bad boy but he stole my heart in the very first episode.

    Kate- I'm glad someone else feels the way I do! I find her to be a very contrived character, often annoying, and also not that attractive. Kate doesn't really seem to have much substance to her.

    Charlie- I loved Charlie, but I also love to root for the underdog. I think that by the time he died, the character had really run its course, he had gotten off drugs, proved he was a good person, and after that, there wasn't anywhere to go with him. I did not like how they really dragged out his death with Desmond always predicting it!

    Hurley- He is comic relief but in a good way, I don't find him annoying the way you do and I think he plays a larger role than you may think. For example, only Hurley could find the cabin in the woods for Locke. I think we'll see him develop further in season 6.

    Michael- I find him impossible to like. He betrayed his friends to save his son, and I don't think that's noble when it results in murdering your friends. He was very self-serving and I'm glad he's gone.

    Claire- She is returning for season 6 and I have questions. They totally abandoned the storyline where the psychic told her only she could raise Aaron and I want to know why! I believe she had requested to be "put on the back burner" and that is why she hasn't been around much, I think she's a good lookin' girl too, so I'm ready for her return. What has she been up to with Christian?

    Boone and Shannon- you got them too. When Shannon died I think she had finally become a bearable character and I hated Boone by the time they offed him. That being said, I don't think they were really "going anywhere." They weren't smart, they weren't leaders, they didn't have much to offer, again, these characters ran their course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki and Paulo- I like that stand alone episode very much. Mostly because it is a nice breather from everything else going on on the island, but by the end of it I was ready to see what my favorite characters were up to. Meh is the perfect way to put it.

    Libby- I wanted her and Hugo to live happily ever after, I really, really did. I am glad we met the passengers from the Tail Section but many of them didn't have a huge purpose.

    Ana Lucia- I hated her! She wasn't a "strong female role" she was a "bitch." She was too hot headed and I cannot stand to listen to people like that, not even fictional people.

    Jin- I have a love/hate relationship with Jin- he is crucial to the plot but not necessarily interesting. I like him better when he doesn't speak English!

    Rousseau- I LOVE her, how dare you call her meh! I, too, enjoy the younger Danielle quite a bit but I think that Rousseau had just enough screen time to really be interesting- and she saved the day in many situations. In the end I don't know if she was "good" or "evil" but I loved her.

    I am sad you did not discuss some of my other favorites:
    Rose and Bernard
    Locke
    Ben
    Desmond/Penny
    Eko
    Alex

    I really love the team from the freighter- that's when things really took a good turn.

    Also- the original members of Dharma before they are taken over by Hostiles are very interesting.

    I think it's hard to say much about Richard, because we don't know much at all about him- maybe that's why he's so damn interesting. Same with Widmore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amanda and Kate, I'll respond to your comments tomorrow with part two of this entry, haha. Yeah, I thought I had covered most of the characters, but there are simply so many that some slip through the cracks. I didn't even mention Desmond, who is one of my favorite characters. Shame!

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails