To randomly celebrate by 550th post (this one right here), I thought the best thing to do would be to award some random songs. I am arbitrarily making up these categories as I sit here. If you're one of the artists, feel free to send me a check for $500 - for shipping - and I'll send you your glorious award. And everyone else, feel free to nominate others for some awards, or to heap glorious praise upon me for my 550th entry or just "me" in general.
- Best Love Song Involving The Holocaust: "Alive With The Glory Of Love" by Say Anything. First, I've always liked this band for the simple reason that its name is based on the absolute best John Cusack movie. Some people swear by High Fidelity, but that just gets hype because it's about music. He acts like a conceited asshole that entire movie. No, I much prefer Say Anything as a straight-up romantic comedy.
Second, I also like Say Anything because they have incredibly catchy songs like this... even though it involves the Holocaust, you know. I'm a sucker for just about any kind of pop punk, so this song and "Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too" are both good to move. (Although, this one is much, much better than the other.) Say Anything also does a neat cover of "I Got Your Money", which was originally done by Old Dirty Bastard. You can find it on Punk Goes Crunk, purchasable here. Speaking of covers...
- Best Acoustic Covers of Rap Music by a White Girl:
Therefore, the winner by default is shushyermouth, mostly because I like her YouTube name, and even though she is Asian (maybe?) and not white. Her video is the one above. I was tempted a bit by the version by Karla Davis, but I didn't quite care for her rant at the beginning of the video. Just get to the coverin', not the moralizing!
- Best Music Video For A Song I Don't Like At All: "Come Into My World" by Kylie Minogue. YouTube must know that I don't really care for the song, since it won't let me embed the video, which you can watch here. The use of repetition in the video is awesome, and reminiscint of "Star Guitar" by The Chemical Brothers, except that's a song I actually like. And because I can actually link that video, you can see it above. (Sorry, Kylie. I still think you're mad attractive though.)
- Best Job Deciphering Daft Punk Tunes: tombola2004. It's linked above. All I can say is, good work. That's a job well done, tombola2004. It's a proud day for your family.
- Best Chorus In An Otherwise Bad Song: "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To" by Weezer. The lyrics from this song are horribly whiny and wimpy, but that chorus? That's good times. I don't give an eff about Rivers eating meatloaf even though he don't eat meat.
- Best 1990s Song That Almost Everyone Universally Likes: "No Diggity" by Blackstreet. We used to play this song all the time at college parties, because girls liked to dance to it (and girls liked to dance when they were drinking) and because it was one of the few rap songs my prickly roommate liked.