Monday, October 12, 2009

The oddness of saying hello

I've lately run into the issue of not knowing whether or not I should acknowledge that I know someone. If that sounds complicated, I'm sorry, because it kind of is in my mind as well.

Let me provide some background information - I'm pretty good at remembering names and faces. In fact, it's only happened about three times in my entire life that I've met someone and they've said something to the effect of, "Oh we've already met." If I actually shake hands with someone and introduce myself, there is a 99.9 percent chance I will remember them at a future date. Heck, I normally remember even casual stuff like former college and high school classmates.

Therefore, I'm at loss at what to do at the local Taco Bell. See, there are at least two kids I went to high school with who work there, but I'm always reluctant to acknowledge this fact. We're all now 25, so I imagine this isn't where they hoped to be; I felt similar shame when I was laid off this past year and when I worked at Dunkin' Donuts when I was 23. Also, I wasn't really friends with either one in high school - One I never talked to, and one I knew better in elementary school.

Because of this, I'm reluctant to be all like, "Hey we both went to Chariho! How is life?" Since they are the ones working, I've always thought that if they wanted to bring this fact up, they would. They both always do the sort of double-take of recognition when they see me, so I assume they know we all went there. Also, I don't think high school was a super fun time for them, so I wouldn't really want to be the one to initiate that conversation.

Dear Miss Manners, what is the proper etiquette in this situation? Also, the picture of her was taken from this site.

2 comments:

  1. i pretty much ignore people i went to high school with unless they acknowledge me first, which almost never happens, so that's my stance on it. but i also didn't like most of my high school class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I got along with a good portion of my high school class, or at least I think I did. Like I said though, these guys were more like acquaintances than buddy buddies.

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails