Monday, April 5, 2010

Reviewing my fantasy baseball draft.


Because I am the super cool sort, I play fantasy baseball, but only one league. That is because I have a short attention span for this sort of stuff, and also because the league I am is really complex, more than your standard league. Here is how the scoring works:

Batting Points = ToB + TB + (SB-CS) + (R+RBI) - OUTS = 2*H + W + TB + R + RBI + SB - CS - AB

Pitching = 3*IP + K - BB - 2*(H+R+ER) + Bonus (+5 for a win, -3 for a loss, +2 per save, +2 per inning past the 5th)

The league also uses a roster format. You can carry a maximum of 35 players, 25 of which are on the active roster. You have to field a lineup of all eight infield positions and a DH, a five-man pitching rotation and three bullpen pitchers. The remaining eight positions are your bench players and swing staff; both can be used to substitute for negative scores among your starters.

There is also a keeper system in place. You are allowed 30 player years - A rookie (Steven Strasburg) only costs one year to keep, with one player year for each additional year they have appeared in a major league game. With that in mind, here is my roster:

C Napoli_Mike/ANA 2
1B Cuddyer_Michael/MIN
2B Pedroia_Dustin/BOS
3B Longoria_Evan/TBA 3
SS Cabrera_Asdrubal/CLE 4
OF1 Kemp_Matthew/LAN 1,5
OF2 Drew_JD/BOS 1,5
OF3 Coghlan_Chris/FLA 1,5
DH Ordonez_Magglio/DET 3
b1 Byrd_Marlon/CHN OF
b2 Avila_Alex/DET C
b3 Encarnacion_Edwin/TOR 3B
b4 Betancourt_Yuniesky/KCA SS
B5 Raburn_Ryan/DET OF
SP1 Beckett_Josh/BOS
SP2 Duchscherer_Justin/OAK
SP3 Hamels_Cole/PHI
sp4 Rowland-Smith_Ryan/SEA
sp5 Hughes_Philip/NYA
SW1 Wakefield_Tim/BOS
SW2 Blackburn_Nick/MIN
sw3 Eveland_Dana/TOR
rp1 Wagner_Billy/ATL
rp2 Hoffman_Trevor/MIL
rp3 Marmol_Carlos/CHN
IR Santana_Carlos/CLE
IR Holland_Derek/TEX
IR Tillman_Chris/BAL
IR Chapman_Aroldis/CIN
IR Kelly_Casey/BOS
IR Clippard_Tyler/WAS
IR Friedrich_Christian/COL
IR Norris_Derrek/WAS
IR Brignac_Reid/TBA
IR Matzek_Tyler/COL

I'll post a more detailed analysis later or tomorrow, but for now, I have to run to the library to cover a story. Lates!

The fantasy baseball picture is from this site.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a little concerned about your team at first glance, but I don't know what's available in the keeper format at draft time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Matt, the keeper list IS pretty thorough. The first pick in the draft was Victor Martinez, the second Adam Dunn, and I had the fourth, which I took Josh Beckett. Most of the elite level players - Pujols, A-Rod, Teixiera - are kept, even if they cost a lot of years.

    There are also 15 teams, which stretches the talent pretty thin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty intense pool. Any money on the line? And I hope Edwin Encarnacion and Dana Eveland don't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eye! Or should I say Bleaf? There is a small amount of money involved, but the entry fee for teams is less than $100. There is also a pool you pay into for making player transactions.

    I like Edwin's chances of being a good bench option for me, but I'm not really expecting much from Eveland, considering who - Yanks, Red Sox, Rays - he has to face on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails