Thursday, August 19, 2010

Steve 1, Bookcase 1

The other day, I was having a horrible time constructing this cheap, $25 five-shelf bookcase that I got from Walmart. For an example of this wonderful product, you can check it out here, since I'm sure you're so psyched to get one after hearing my description. When I got it home, I noted that some of the wood was a bit split, but it still seemed sturdy enough to construct.

Two days and about three hours later, I have finally triumphed. Ugh. When it comes to construction, I have two right thumbs. (I say right instead of left because I'm left-handed.) You can now see the glorious product as it sits in my room:


I'm doing my best to slowly fill it with stuff, making sure to put the heaviest stuff on the bottom to serve as an anchor of sorts.


The tippy-top just has a Red Sox World Series hat, followed by empty N64 boxes on the top shelf, Playstation 2 and Jaguar and NES cases on the second shelf, miscellaneous crap on the middle one, and books on the fourth and base shelves. I still have about half a dozen boxes to go through, at which point the whole case will probably be full. I still haven't really touched my movie DVDs, which are going on a separate three-shelf case in the living room. However, it feels good to be productive and to unpack all of my stuff, finally, after three weeks of living in this apartment.

(Note: This is only for me to be leaving for business on Sunday night, but that post will have to wait until Saturday afternoon, officially. CLIFFHANGER!)

12 comments:

  1. If I was on The Baggage Game, I think my baggage would be that I'm slightly OCD... because I just want to organize your room and untangle all of those cords.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jen - haha, Feel free to swing by and do so anytime ;) Especially since, as we've already established, you're a ginger.

    I have so many systems and cords that it's almost impossible to have them in any reasonable sort of order, though. I have a Wii, Gamecube, PS2, N64 and Dreamcast hooked up, along with a VCR and (eventually) cable. I'd try to throw my SNES and NES in there too, but the power plugs for them are too big and not worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed Steve. Anyone that can put those bookshelves together is a fricking genius. I bought one of those damn things once and bribed a neighbor with beer to put it together for me. The dude felt fairly confident in his ability to do so being that he worked at constructing stuff all day long. Well five hours later he finally got the bookshelf together. His girlfriend probably thought he was downstairs banging me (not). Only later did I discover that the neighbor accidentally walked off with my electric drill. He probably took the drill as compensation for the torture he had to endure at trying to construct that stupid thing!
    xo The Empress

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Empress - haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with these blasted shelves! However, I would note that he shouldn't have had the power drill out in the first place. The instructions specifically say, "Hey don't use a drill, you'll eff up the wood!"

    I think the three-shelf one I have for my DVDs in the living room will go a lot smoother. My roommate put hers together in about 30 minutes, she said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate when I have to put this stuff together-next time just go to a thrift store you can get the same thing already put together for a fraction of the price-but we all learn the hard way-

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Queen - I'm no fan of putting stuff together either, obviously :) But I have a small car, so it's hard to fit stuff in there. Anything bigger than a chair means I need to get someone else involved, so these sort of "easy to construct" things appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so with Jen on this. I may not personally be the neatest person in the world, but I think there needs to be a little organization going on over at Steve's place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Christina - howdareyou both, attacking me on my own blog ;_; But as I said to Jen, you're welcome to come over any time you'd like and do some cleaning. I have been taking some pictures throughout the process, and I'll probably have a "picture transition" post at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my lack of construction ability is why I put up with boyfriends who call their appendages "pee pee".

    I appluad your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Jenn - Thanks! We are useful for things besides dribbling urine all over the newly-cleaned floors, yes. (Not that uh I've ever done anything like that.) My roommate is female, so I cringe when I imagine her having to live with a brute like me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cannot help but notice you have your GameCube and Wii both hooked up. As the once great Hurricane would say, "Wuddupwitdat?"

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ GFgruel - See, my best surviving GC controller is an unlicensed one, so it doesn't work with my Wii. I keep them both hooked up as a result.

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails