Friday, August 5, 2016

Steveats: Johnny Pastrami (but really, roast beef)



Debuting a new, semi-regular feature! I tryout questionable food items so that you don’t have to in… Steveats. (Note: Title developed in about 10 seconds of brainstorming.)

One fast food item that I think is chronically underrated would be the roast beef sandwich. In Rhode Island, we have a chain called Walt’s, and they provide delicious roast beef on toasted buns, with the same heat-lamp fries that you’d get from Roy Rogers. Even Arby’s, while it’s not a favorite of mine, I still find their sandwiches edible and their deals ($5 for five sandwiches!) delicious.

At the truck stop that houses Sbarro’s and Nathan’s on the border of Rhode Island and Connecticut, there is also some place called Johnny Pastrami’s. I’m guessing this is a chain that is owned by Nathan’s, because they share French fries and some other menu items, but I’d never heard of it before sampling a sandwich on Sunday night.

From the name, I’d guess their specialty is pastrami, but that’s a meat I’ve never cared much for. However, the number two item on the board was roast beef, and I’m always game for that. Even better, they served me a hot, soggy sandwich, which does happen to be my favorite prep when it comes to a roast beef. I want that bun to soak up the juices! Make it an unofficial French dip with au jus.

Oddly, the #3 item on the board was a burger, and someone else ordered one while I was there. They actually got a burger patty out of a cooler and put it on a grill top, which shocked me. Actual cooking at a rest stop?!?! I might have to give that the ole Steveats try next time I’m in the area. For the time being though, I can whole heartedly recommend the Johnny Pastrami roast beef, if you like them soggy roast beef sandwiches. It’s definitely not for you though if you want the conventional sandwich with all the fixings.

Want to support Steve’s blogging? Then purchase something via the Amazon clickthru link for Your Parents Basement, Steve’s other project! If you have a request for a future Steveats, leave it in the comments on here or on my Facebook. To check out some of the past Steveats, go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails