Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Inexplicable Movie Review: Why Rugrats sucks

Rugrats sucks, so a picture from a good cartoon of the era instead.

One of my past professions, substitute teaching, gave me plenty of time to watch lots of bad movies and to critique them against better movies. This is really far less fascinating than it sounds, and I'm sure it sounds less than fascinating to begin with.

Anyway, children's movies are a fairly common occurrence, since I was subbing for teenagers and tweens. And lately, that has made me evaluate why Rugrats really, really sucks as compared to a classic Disney movie, like Pinocchio. This applies even if said Disney classic is in Spanish. There is a certain quality and wit to a classic Disney movie, a basic level of competence, that is just not present in all this modern cartoon crap.

Let's get specific and talk about Rugrats in Paris: The Movie, which is a lovingly redundant title for a crass and unsophisticated movie. Pretty much all of the humor derives from tired jokes (Making fun of Euro-Disney, ha, gold Jerry!) and the babies throwing up and shitting themselves. Just remember this next time you see a movie like The Hammer get an R.

I never really understood the appeal of Rugrats. It came out when I was just a bit too old for it, so that could be one reason. While it's clearly a step above absolute tripe / little kid programming like Barney and Lamb Chop's Sing Along, I think it is clearly a rung below Doug. I vaguely recall my sister, who is four years younger than I am, being pretty into Rugrats.

Anyway, their Paris movie is pretty god damn awful. I'm not sure why, but I was showing it for middle school French classes, even though there isn't that much French in the movie. I can understand not wanting to show, say, Les Mis to sixth graders, since that movie has a bunch of torture scenes. But there has to be a better compromise movie than Paris Rugrats. Why not an adaptation of Le Petit Prince or Asterix? Both are more faithful to the French language than Rugrats, or the other bizarre, tangential French movie I had to watch, Passport to Paris starring the Olsen twins.

If you sincerely care, the plot of the movie revolves around the babies acting like babies, and Chuckie trying to hook his dad up with a new mom. Somehow, Angelica gets involved, and things get stupid and not funny. I highly recommend the film if you're trying to fall asleep, because I almost did at several points.

The picture from an actual good Nickelodeon show is from this Tumblr site.

8 comments:

  1. well, i'm not as old and washed up as you are, so I loved Rugrats for a while. I just thought it was cute and adorable and funny at the time. But no it is not as smart as other classic nickelodeon cartoons also dear to my heart. I still don't understand why ahhh real monsters isn't on dvd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pftttt, how dare you.

    And I don't either! Nickelodeon is weird about their DVD releases; I don't think most of their game shows are on DVD either. I would love to be able to get discs of Legends of the Hidden Temple and Double Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. List of Nicktoons that were good and made before 1994 (when I actually watched such things):

    Doug
    Ren and Stimpy
    Rocko's Modern Life
    Aaahh Real Monsters!

    List of Nicktoons that I despised (also a list of all other Nicktoons made before 1994):

    Rugrats

    I am totally with you on this one. There was no redeeming quality to that show at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with both of your Nicktoons list. And if you want to go further back, I hated stuff like David the Gnome and Eureka's Castle too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe it's just cause i'm younger, but don't hate on david the gnome and eureka's castle!! that show had the two muppet things that were obsessed with peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my sister liked both, and I think she is closer in age to you than I am. Also, you're both girls, which could be determining factor, especially for Eureka's Castle.

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails