Monday, January 11, 2010

More Glee in my future, but will a gimmick derail?

I'm torn about the news that Glee is getting a second season. On one hand, I'm glad that the show is definitely getting a second season, guaranteed, since FOX has such a horrible track record with nurturing shows. For example, it has already canceled Dollhouse; I didn't watch it, but I've heard good things from friends, who are no doubt displeased at that news. And in the past, FOX hasn't seen it fit to renew great, critically acclaimed shows like Arrested Development, Firefly, Futurama and Family Guy. So, if Glee is safe for another season, then I'm quite glad.

However, an Entertainment Weekly news post about the news contains a distressing bit of information to me - "Fox is launching a nationwide casting search this February to fill three new season 2 roles. Per the network’s press release, “Auditions will be open to amateur individuals as well as professionals between the ages of 16-26, and all hopefuls will be able to submit auditions online."

What the hell? Why do I want to see amateurs sing? If I wanted to witness that, I'd actually watch American Idol. Dear FOX, keep your god damned amateur singers on one show. I'd prefer that actors and actresses with actual chops, like the lovely Jayma Mays and Lea Michele, get screen time.

I suppose that the new cast members could be just bit players, but really, I can't imagine a scenario in which actual professionals wouldn't be better served for the roles. Also, they're casting three people? That seems like quite a few. Does that mean three people are leaving the show to make room for them? If so, then I suppose it could be a good thing, since it would freshen the cast up a bit from year-to-year, but I would prefer professionals taking those spots as opposed to amateurs.

Also, Britney better be staying on the show. That's all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure they'll all be on the show for the second season because according to the GleeWiki they're all at the age of either sophomores or juniors. But maybe Glee would just be getting bigger now that they've won sectionals and will [hopefully] win the next competition at the end of season 1.
    And I am so sad Dollhouse is getting canceled. Summer Glau was just in it for a couple episodes and of course she's strange and really smart, but she diiiiies. tragic.
    And I am sure Britney will stay on the show. with classic moments such as: "does anyone know what a ballad is?" "It's a male duck." "...no."
    How could she not stay??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Danielle, I've debated the ages of most of the kids on the show before. While I don't agree with them that they're juniors - they come across as seniors to me - that's what they are in the show's universe.

    I don't think that they'll win states, though. That would be quite the odds to overcome for the program. Now that their survival is guaranteed with the win in sectionals, I think they've had enough "happy" for a half-season.

    Summer Glau was awesome in Firefly. I'll have to check out Dollhouse, since you and a couple of other friends enjoy it.

    "If that's true than me and Santana are dating."

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails