Saturday, February 13, 2010

Belatedly Liking Stuff: Vampire Weekend



Yeah, that's right - Yet another header for a "regular" feature on this here blog. Don't worry, this will be a quick post, since I'm positive that everyone has heard of Vampire Weekend, except me, by this point.

But hey, just in case you haven't... They're a snazzy indie rock band from New York City, according to their Wikipedia page. The newest single from the band, "Cousins", is linked above, and I must say that I'm a bit smitten with the video. I love how ridiculously literal yet bombastic it is.

Apparently, they have a bit of a trend going with literal videos, since their other big hit - "A-Punk" - also features them just playing their instruments. Unless you're a 1980s hair band, I've always felt that this was a simple and easy way to get your face out there to music fans. Hey, it worked for "Buddy Holly" by Weezer, so why not others? (p.s. Weezer with the Muppets is also great.)

7 comments:

  1. Not my type of music but definitely a cool video. I had heard of "Vampire Weekend" although I thought it had something to do with the twilight series. I didn't realize it was a band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the band name does sound kinda wimpy, but they're more like a "cool" band then something for teeny boppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Oxford Comma" is pretty delightful for songs from their first album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you really count as an "Indie" band if you get significant (not like Lady GaGa, but still...) airtime on MTV? I mean, I know the term "Indie" refers to bands that aren't on a major label, but I've always associated it with bands that just can't seem to get popular. Once a band "sells out" (read: gets popular), all of the "Indie" music lovers seem to abandon the band. See Modest Mouse for further information on this phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, I've always associated the "indie" label with a type of music. You know, kind of lighter and more "artsy" than alternative rock, kind of like modern rock. I think you're splitting hairs when it comes to sales after a while - All of these bands are pretty popular. I think I read on their Wiki that "Cousins" debuted at #1 on the charts, so they have to be making some decent money off of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for the education of indie rock...I didn't really know quite what that meant

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails