Monday, October 4, 2010

At The Commercials: Axe washes your balls.



I have a couple thoughts about this commercial, and I'm sure you've been eagerly awaiting all of them. In no particular order:

- Much like my previous review of SoBe's oral sex commercial, this one is a little too "on the nose" for me. (Although, "on the tip" might be a better description.) Seriously, it's a gag revolving around the word balls. This two-minute version is shrunk (no pun intended) to 30 seconds on television, but even then, the joke wears thin by the end of the commercial.

- I am a fan of Jaime Pressly in this commercial. I don't mean her acting; I mean her look. She resembles Kelly Ripa in it, who I'm also a fan of, except that Ripa now has like 40 kids, and that's weird for me to think about. Pressly is playing a fake former tennis star in the commercial, which is confusing to me. Can't you just bill her as Jaime Pressly, hot actress? Why go through the subterfuge of having her be a tennis star?

- There is another version of this commercial that airs before 10 p.m., and on the more conservative networks. (i.e. NBC and FOX air the clean version during NFL games, but Adult Swim airs the "balls, balls, balls!" version.) This seems like a supreme waste of money to me, since the commercial doesn't make a ton of sense without the references to balls. If you want to see that version, you can click... on your television, because it's not on the Internet, it seems.

- People really like posting this video to YouTube. There are like six different versions of it, even though in most of them, the sound is so shitty you can't hear anything. People just love talking about balls, it seems. (Oh ho, now I make joke about balls too! Oh ho!)

14 comments:

  1. I don't find her attractive really. She looks too much like a slightly less miniature Kristin Chenoweth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Matthew - See, I'm not such a fan of Chenoweth. Maybe at some point, we can do a trade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not such a fan of Chenoweth either, that's what I mean. Though I do give Chenoweth bonus points for being from Tulsa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you wrote a post on this because I was going to! My husband and I saw the balls version before five o'clock one evening and I was kind of glad my 8 year old son wasn't with us. He would have found it hilarious, but I would have been like a mother hen with her feathers all ruffled.
    Seriously, how many times can they say balls in a commercial, it does get old.
    Unless you are 8, then it is comedic gold.
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd rather talk about cocks ...just saying...

    Hugs, The Empress

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Matthew - Ah, okay. I get your gist now. That's cool, I'll keep Pressly for myself then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ M, M and I - I would have lovveeeddd this commercial if it came out when I was in middle school. Heck, I still laugh when I hear certain words, like cock or pussy-willow.

    ... heh, I said pussy-willow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ The Empress - Oh la la, you minx! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I meant to reply before when you commented that you're like a guy version of me. But I never did.

    Seriously, though. I hate this commercial. AXE has a habit of going too far for me. Especially that commercial where the guy's underarms are spewing sweat. It makes me gag. Glad to see someone else -- particularly, a guy -- wasn't a raving fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just cannot stand this commercial. It's so immature and pointless in its jokes. And AXE has had some shitty commercials, but this one takes the cake. Any commercial with Jaime Pressly in it is going to suck... I can't stand her in any way. She has, like, one character for everything...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Rebekah - I think the underarm sweat guy might be Tag, but it could be Axe; I don't really remember. That one grosses me out as well. I have no idea who actually likes that commercial, since your reaction and my reaction has also been the one shared to me by others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Christina - Aw, you and Matt are both knocking my girl Jaime Pressly. I think I'm just a sucker for that look, which is roughly shown by this equation:

    Not huge chest + Tight shirt = SUCCESS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Jaime Pressly, loved her in Couples Retreat, and even as a fairly conservative woman I find this commercial funny. First time we saw it, I even made my husband rewind and replay it. It's not anymore inappropriate than SNL'a "Schwetty Balls."

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Picosita - I think Saturday Night Live's "Schwetty Balls" is better done. One, obviously, it has Alec Baldwin, and he's a hell of an actor. And two, that's much more tongue in cheek, and it's being done for laughs. I think the Axe commercial is aimed more at appealing to people via sex.

    ReplyDelete

Try not to be too much of an ass, unless completely necessary. You are subject to tyrannical moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails